Friday, August 19, 2011

Running Man (런닝맨) and Family Outing (패밀리가 떴다)

Okay so as part of my efforts to learn the Korean language and culture, I began watching Korean variety shows. I've watched several titles already but I have to say, Running Man (런닝맨) and Family Outing (패밀리가 떴다)are my favorites. MC Yoo Jae Suk and Kim Joong Kook both happen to be cast in the two shows. I really really like the cast of Running Man because they have different personalities that often either clash or compliment each other, depending on the mission. 

In Running Man, the cast face several challenges to complete missions and gain Running Balls so as to avoid punishment. The format of Family Outing is pretty much the same, minus the Running Balls. What helps me learn Korean by watching these shows are the Korean texts and subtitles displayed on the show. So I can constantly hit the pause button, try to read the Korean text/words being used on the show and try to translate and understand it better. Lastly, watching and hearing how Koreans actually converse in all its speedy glory helps me get a good idea of the context these words are used.  


And did I mention that these two shows are soooo darn entertaining? I've had many dull weekends turned brighter and happier because of these shows. I can't say that I have only one favorite in the cast because there's always something to love and hate in each cast member. I like Ha Ha's comic timing but he's too careless on missions. I like Spartakook's genius but he can be very irritating at times. He tends to bully other members. I like MC Yoo Jae Suk's gift of gab but he seems very weak when it comes to missions. So on and so forth. But anyway, 감사합니다 Korea!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment