Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Jumpstarting My Korean Project

안녕하세요! 

I haven't made it clear in my previous posts but I'm actually doing a self-study when trying to learn the Korean language. I'm a young working professional and work schedules take up most of my day so I don't really have the time to enroll and attend formal language classes. I think that if you really want to achieve something, you will try your best and seek out alternative resources in order to achieve that goal. So what I did over the past few weeks is to really maximize whatever time and resources available to me and research about the Korean language. Let me share to you some of the steps/tips I took in my studies. I made sure to seek out fun learning materials over the internet. 


1. Google and Youtube it, Baby!

You will find sooooo many websites and videos on the internet with tutorials about the Korean language. If you were to see my browser's Bookmarks or Favorites folder, you wouldn't believe all the sites I regularly visit for my language lessons. Unlike studying a book, the good thing about these sites is that you get to ask the "teachers" questions by leaving comments or sending email to them on their respective sites. Thankfully, these good-hearted online teachers respond to their subscribers so the learning is still interactive even though you're not in a formal classroom. Here are some that I found very helpful:










2. Fangirl/Fanboy Benefits

Immersing oneself in anything and everything Korean seems a little taxing or maybe boring but anyone who has ever seen Korean movies or dramas will know that flower boys and k-pop stars can be an obsession. Listen to as much K-pop songs and watch Korean dramas as you can. This can help familiarize you to the language as well as the culture (not to mention it's so entertaining too!)


3. Language Exchange Partners and Facebook Groups

You might be surprised as to how many of your friends actually want to learn Korean. Try to create a Facebook Group dedicated to practicing or learning Korean or you can also go on the web to find Language exchange sites where you can converse or write to Korean native language speakers. 

So anyway, I hope you found my methods very useful and please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. 
힘내세요!


No comments:

Post a Comment